Are You Ready for Cold Weather?
Fall is the time to prepare for winter—cold and wet conditions not only make you miserable, but they can damage your home. Luckily, winter conditions have only recently been resurfacing. Some winterizing can wait, some can’t. Make a list of what needs to be done, and tackle the time-sensitive tasks first. Here’s a simple checklist from Tidewater to help you get a jump on winter.
- Examine doors and replace weather-stripping as needed.
- Examine window caulking and reseal where needed.
- Examine and repair vents where needed.
- Clean chimneys and flues.
- Remove items near heat vents.
- Place nonskid runners or door mats outside to help keep water, sand and salt out of the house.
- Cut back tree branches and shrubs that hide signs or block light.
- Examine outdoor handrails and tighten if needed.
- Turn off electrical breakers for outdoor equipment.
- Close hose bibs.
- Clean out gutters and downspouts.
- Clear yard drains.
- Spray outdoor locks and hinges with lubricant.
- Stake driveway and walkway edges that may be difficult to find under deep snow.
Assemble, stockpile or refresh winter supplies:
- Candles and matches
- Ice melt and deicer
- Snow shovels
- Generator fuel
Since we opened our doors in 1989, Tidewater has been offering personal customer service throughout Maryland, Virginia, Delaware and West Virginia. Due to our dedication to helping homeowners buy, sell, rent, and maintain their properties, we have become one of the largest family owned full-service real estate management companies in the area.LEARN MORE